Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 4: Blog #4: Custom search

Custom search can help simplify your life both personally and professionally.  Once you become comfortable with the steps, it will enhance the searching ability of the user.  At least, it will narrow and control their search.  For classroom use, I recommend custom search to narrow the sites which the students can explore.  This will eliminate wasted time searching, it will provide access to quality sites, while limiting their access to undesired sites.  In addition, it will limit distractions such as, video games and music video or music sites and facebook.  Also, I appreciate the safe search function which can be applied to custom search choices.  I appreciate the control which will benefit all students, especially those with organizational issues.  I also believe that it will increase productivity, as well as, creating a quick start time for the lesson.
Professionally, the educator can create custom searches by following the steps provided.  AN adjustment period is necessary.  So, prepare to be patient and watch several how to videos on you tube or follow your friends google+ link to comprehend the maze of options.  I was learning to add a custom  search to my google sites page and had difficulty with online instruction.  Before I quit, I requested a hangout with my professor.  He viewed my screenshot in the hangout from a laptop that he was using in his backyard.  He was able to guide me through the steps.  I identified the mistake and wish that I would have utilized the hangout option earlier.  It would have saved several grueling hours My next attempt will take only 5 minutes, now that I am familiar with the process.  In the classroom, I believe that the benefit of using custom search will outweigh any other method.   After using a controlled custom search, I believe that it will be an irreplaceable tool in your teaching belt.  Use it wisely and don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment